March 2, 2013
The main purpose of shaping eyebrows is to make one appear well groomed. Most women have their eyebrows shaped regularly in beauty salons using techniques such as tweezing and threading. However, you can also shape your own eyebrows at home since it is more convenient and cost efficient. In order to ensure that you achieve the same level of results that a professional beautician offers, you must follow an effective brow shaping procedure.
It is important to note that the procedure you use to shape your eyebrow would depend on the type of eyebrow shaping methods you choose. Keep reading to learn about two popular eyebrow hair removal and shaping techniques: tweezing and threading.
Shaping Eyebrows Using the Tweezing Technique
If you prefer to shape your eyebrows at home using tweezers, use the following steps:
- Cleanse the skin under and around your eyebrows using a washcloth or cotton wool and antiseptic. You should also cleanse your tweezers and wash your hands thoroughly. This will ensure that any nicks or cuts that you may incur during the procedure are infection free.
- Stand or sit facing a mirror. Ensure that you have sufficient light to observe your tweezing progress and results.
- Brush your eyebrows using an up and out motion. You can use an eyebrow brush or old toothbrush to do this. After this, use eyebrow scissors to cut off the ends of long brow hairs. Keep brushing the hairs up and down in order to identify and trim long hairs. Trimming reduces the bulk of brow hairs and reveals the natural shape of your brow. This will enable you to shape your eyebrows more easily using tweezers.
- One you trim your brow hair to a reasonable length, use you eyebrow pencil to estimate where your eyebrow arch should begin and end. By placing one end of the pencil on the bridge of your nose parallel to your eyebrow, you will be able to identify the point where an ideal eyebrow should begin. To establish the ending point of a well-shaped eyebrow, angle the eyebrow pencil from the right and left nostril respectively to the corner of the eye. The point at which the pencil crosses the corner of the eye is the ideal brow ending point.
- Using the established start and ending points in the previous step, tweeze accordingly. While you are shaping eyebrows using tweezers, it is important to ensure that you do not remove more than two rows of hairs if you want to achieve a natural eyebrow shape. You should also remove a few more hairs towards the outside/corner of the eye if you want to achieve a ‘sloping brow’ effect. Alternatively, if you want to ensure that your eyebrow shape is not flat, create an ‘arched’ brow effect by removing an extra row of hair at the point where your brow peaks.
- Once you complete the shaping process, cleanse with antiseptic, dry, and fill in your newly shaped eyebrows using an eye pencil if you wish.
Shaping Eyebrows Using the Threading Technique
It takes longer to perfect the skill of shaping eyebrows using the threading technique. It is therefore advisable to make several visits to a professional threading expert who can create a suitable eyebrow shape. If possible, ensure that you consult a hair removal expert who has professional training in threading. At Avalon School of Cosmetology, we ensure that our graduates are well skilled in various hair removal methods such as waxing, tweezing, shaving, and threading. Once you have a well-defined eyebrow shape, you can maintain it at home by removing new hair growth on a bi-weekly basis using the following procedure:
- Clean the area around your eyebrow using an antiseptic and then numb it using ice or cold water if you want to lessen the pain associated with the threading procedure.
- Brush your eyebrows using an eyebrow brush.
- Cut a sewing that is about 20 inches long and tie its ends together using a knot to form a circle.
- Hold the knotted end of the thread circle one hand and use your other hand to hold the other end. Twist the thread several times using a scissor motion.
- Position the twisted thread on the eyebrow hair you want to pluck. Ensure that you position the hair between the thread. Pull the hair in the opposite direction using a swift scissor motion. This motion should effectively pull out the hair. Use this step to remove all hairs that are outside the natural or defined shape of your eyebrows.
- Wipe your eyebrows using an antiseptic.
Overall, first timers may find the process of shaping eyebrows at home using tweezers and threads quite clumsy and difficult at first. However, with enough practice, you can achieve excellent eyebrow shaping results at home. Nevertheless, when shaping eyebrows, you must avoid removing too much hair or arching your eyebrows too much since this will distort the natural shape of your eyebrows.