May 5, 2013
No matter what field you obtain an education and training in, making the transition from student to employee can sometimes be time consuming and overwhelming, especially when it comes to cosmetology jobs. If you have recently graduated or are about to graduate from cosmetology school, you may be worried about finding a job in your field. Having a quality resume that will get the attention of hiring managers and knowing how to interview are two key factors in obtaining a position in cosmetology. In addition, knowing what kind of position you can expect right of school can be helpful.
Cosmetology Jobs: Begin with a Quality Resume
When applying for any type of job, the resume can be your one and only shot at getting an interview. Several, sometimes even hundreds, of resumes are submitted to human resources departments and hiring managers for just one position. Many resumes are generic and are easily passed over. In order to get the attention of a hiring manager and land an interview, your resume must stand out from all of the others. It must be clear and concise and show what you have to offer above others.
Cosmetology Jobs: Resume Tips
- Use your legal name
- Put your name at the top in bold and 14-16 point standard font
- Use a career summary instead of an objective at the beginning
- Include all skills and qualifications so that employers can see your marketability
- Use a professional email address in order to be viewed professionally
- List all education and training
- Be sure to include any certifications you hold, such as make-up artist or extension specialist
- Include any voluntary experience
- Do not use over two pages for your full resume, in order to keep the attention of the reader
- Use spell check and have someone else read over it
- Include products you may be familiar with
Your resume has managed to get the attention of a hiring manager and you have been called for an interview. This can be an exciting, yet nerve wracking time in a job search. It is important to follow several tips to increase your chances of being hired:
- Arrive on time
- Dress professionally
- Style your hair and wear make-up, but nothing too wild
- Have extra copies of your resume on-hand
- Be prepared to talk about your training and experience
- Know details about the company you are interviewing with
- Be prepared to share your strengths and weaknesses, both personally and in the field.
Most of the time new cosmetology graduates have to work their way up by starting in lesser known salons or lower paying jobs. However, being flexible and prepared to take such positions can help get you started in your cosmetology career. Many popular cosmetologists will hire assistants to do such duties like shampoos, wrapping perms, and rinsing hair colors out. As an assistant you will meet new people, begin showing your employer what you are capable of, be paid at least minimum wage, and earn tips. Working as an assistant can be a good way to get your foot in the door as a cosmetologist.
Avalon School of Cosmetology
In order to have a successful career in the field of cosmetology, receive your education and training at one of the top cosmetology schools in the nation: Avalon School of Cosmetology. At our cosmetology school we train students to begin working in the field as soon as they graduate. We help with job placement, resume building, and successful interviewing. Our graduates quickly find the best jobs in the field. When they begin their careers they are ready to jump in with the knowledge they need to help people look and feel their best, which helps them to immediately build their clientele base. If you want to ensure a successful career in the cosmetology school, begin your career with an education from the Avalon School of Cosmetology.
Getting a good job in the cosmetology field takes effort, time, and practice. Be sure to begin with a well-written and concise resume and practice preparing for interviews. Expect to start work as an assistant or in a lower paying position and work your way to the top. Finally, make sure you attend a school that will prepare you for successful cosmetology jobs.