June 28, 2013
You’ve tried everything to grow your hair, from the crazy pill combination to the head massages, and you are still not seeing progress. Although maintaining a healthy hair routine is still important, it may be time to consider hair extensions your hair.
Benefits of Hair Extensions for Short Hair
- They add length. One of the most obvious reasons to get hair extensions is for the appearance of added length that they give.
- Thickness. Hair extensions may add immense thickness which can be controlled by the number of wefts put in.
- Color change. For those afraid to dye their hair, extensions that are a slightly different color from the rest of the hair may be used to add the appearance of highlights. Depending on application, extensions may also be applied to give the look of two-toned hair. It is very easy, and non-damaging to the hair, to play with color through the use of hair extensions.
- They can either be bound to the hair or clipped in. Clip-in extensions are beneficial because they can be worn only when needed. Extensions may be bound to the hair using keratin, other attachments, or sewn in.
Types of Extensions
Clip-in hair extensions are extensions which are bound to clips in wefts. These extensions may be removed and re-applied when needed. Generally, it only takes a few minutes to put the extensions in.
These are most likely the least expensive type of extension, but a good set may still cost anywhere from $100-$200. However, inexperienced application may cause clips to be visible, which would not give a natural look.
Sew-ins are extensions which are sewn onto tightly braided hair. Hair is in “cornrow” type braids , which allows the braids to lay flat on the head underneath the extensions. Although the process does not require re-application, this method completely hides the natural hair, making it difficult to reach.
Another way to bind extensions to the hair is by creating a seal with melted keratin. A stylist will take small sections and then bind small pieces of extension to them all over the hair. The process is time-consuming and may be costly, but it does not require daily application. Additionally, this method still allows for full function of the natural hair.
Tips for Choosing Extensions
- Decide on the general length, color, and thickness you want the extensions. Texture is also important. Those with curly hair may want to get curly hair extensions rather than straight ones which can only be worn with flat-ironed hair.
- Many hair extension brands sell extensions in 18-26 inches. Consider the natural length of your hair as well as height to determine which extensions give you length, but do not look excessive.
- Thickness is measured in grams, and the higher gram set will have possibly more wefts or more hair on each weft.
- Decide which type of extension you want. Clip-in extensions are easily accessible, where as the more permanent types will require installation by a professional.
After choosing all of the specifics for the extensions you want, make sure to find a trustworthy brand. For installation or more hair extension advice, make sure to consult an Avalon specialist or stylist. Avalon provides affordable hair services, and would gladly help you install your new extensions. When dealing with hair, it is always important to find the best services.