July 26, 2013
Wavy hairstyles look flattering on women with short, medium-length or long hair. However, sometimes it is impossible for women to achieve a wavy hairstyle regularly. This is because some wavy hairstyles take a long time to create and, in most cases, they do not remain intact for long. Nevertheless, some of the best wavy hairstyles are easy to create in a relatively short period of time. In fact, if you have some hair tousling products, a blow dryer, curling iron and hair pins you can make your hair wavy and beautiful at the start of each day irrespective of the length of your hair.
Guide to Wavy Hairstyles For Different Hair Lengths
Using the following simple steps, you can create a wavy hairstyle in less than 10 minutes:
Wash Your Hair
Cleaning your hair thoroughly is the best way to prepare for the hair tousling process. Ensure you use a shampoo and conditioner that will add moisture to your hair and minimize hair frizz to wash your hair.
Apply High Care/Styling Products
Once your hair is clean, untangle it using your fingers and brush it before drying it. After this, towel-dry your hair and apply spray gel to set your natural curls. On the other hand, if you have straight hair, spread a sizable amount of hair mouse throughout your hair after drying to add volume and ensure that you get great looking waves. Next, if you have thick hair, apply a hair styling cream and comb your hair afterward to distribute the cream evenly in your hair.
Blow Dry Your Hair
After applying all the appropriate hair styling products, blow-dry your hair until it is about 80% dry. While blow-drying, do not tousle your hair too much using your fingers since doing so may make your hair look frizzy.
Style Your Hair
Depending on whether you have short, medium or long hair you may have to follow different hair styling steps in order to create a wavy hairstyle.
Styling Short Hair
- Use a small hairbrush to blow dry sections of your hair away from your face.
- Using a curling iron, wrap sections of hair (at least one inch in size) from the mid-shaft to the ends- do not curl your hair roots. For best results, curl different sections of your hair in different direction to create interesting waves with great texture.
- Finally, gently tousle your hair using your hands to break up the curls and, if necessary, use a comb to create a polished wavy hairstyle.
Styling Medium-length Hair
- After blow-drying your hair, divide your hair into sections of about two inches.
- Rub hair mousse throughout each section of hair. After this, twist each hair section into a strand and coil it into a bun. Secure each bun using a hair bin.
- Use a blow dryer to blast dry each bun. For best results, keep drying until the hair pins feel hot.
- After the hair pins cool down, remove them and tousle you hair using your fingers. To make your curls softer, you can use a round hairbrush to comb out the curls.
- To ensure your curls set in properly, use a curling iron to wrap the sections of your hair that are too straight.
- If necessary, apply styling wax after curling to define your waves.
Styling Long Hair
- Divide your hair into two-inch sections; apply a light hairspray and then blow dry each section using a metal hair brush. Roll up the hair on the brush as you blow dry.
- Unroll the hair from the hairbrush and use your index finger to create a coil from each hair section. Secure the coil using a hair pin or clip.
- Let the hair coils set for a few minutes.
- Remove the clips/pins and use your hands to break up the curls and create a tousled wavy look.
Using the simple steps described above, it is possible to create a wavy look each morning before going to work. If you want to avoid damaging your hair by heat styling it daily, you can preserve your wavy hairstyle for several days by braiding your hair or using hair spray. You can also take a short course in hair styling to improve your hair styling tips. At Avalon School of Cosmetology, our highly skilled and experienced instructors can equip you with knowledge on how to create a wavy hairstyle without damaging your hair.