September 6, 2013
How to Become a Licensed Esthetician in Phoenix
Millions dream of a healthy, glowing skin, and being the one to make it happen is more than enough reason to become an esthetician in Phoenix. Good skin will always be in demand. This is good news for students who want a career in this rewarding field. As an esthetician, you can choose who to work for, when to work and how long. However, before you get lost in the long list of occupational perks, you should first pick a great esthetician school.
What do Estheticians do?
Estheticians improve or maintain the health and appearance of skin by applying cosmetic products and treatment. Treatments include masks, facials, microdermabrasion, chemical peels and other techniques. The skin solutions are not medical in nature but skilled estheticians can administer deeper procedures and laser skin therapy to treat less severe cases of acne.
Although estheticians or skin therapists are known for treating skin, they are also qualified to administer full body treatments, hair removal and massages of the head and neck. They are also licensed to apply makeup professionally when necessary.
What are the Benefits of Becoming an Esthetician in Phoenix?
It is not hard to see why being an esthetician is one of the best occupations out there. There are several advantages that skin therapists enjoy that others ordinarily do not. Among these are:
- The nature of the work: for aspiring estheticians, making a living from giving people what they need is reward enough. Clients walk in with all kinds of skin problems and walk out healthier, happier and younger-looking. Client satisfaction is always gratifying.
- Forming relationships with clients: the better a job you do, the more loyal clients become. These relationships can come in handy if you want to open your own business, when you need referrals and for word-of-mouth marketing.
- Choosing your boss: Estheticians have the luxury of choosing whether to work for an existing business or becoming self-employed. You can work at salons, spas, makeup counters and many institutions. Alternatively, you can open your own company and attend to private clients. Some skin therapists maintain their independence even when working within an existing company.
- Choosing your hours: Aestheticians are usually given the freedom to decide when to work, whether self-employed or independent within a salon or spa. You can work by appointment only or choose between morning and afternoon sessions.
- Discounts on products: as a certified esthetician, you can join professional clubs and supply stores. Licensed members can buy a variety of beauty products at half the price.
- Dynamic and diverse career: because aestheticians are trained in skin treatment, makeup and massage, there are many career options to choose from. Some professionals become full-time makeup artists while others run massage parlors from home.
What Education Do You Need to Become an Esthetician in Phoenix?
Phoenix has credible cosmetology schools where you can earn your qualification. Training consists of both theory and practical learning. Subjects covered include skin treatment, makeup application, massage techniques, safety and sanitation. When training is complete, students are required to take a state examination to receive their practicing license and carry out 260 to 600 hours of hands-on practice.
Life as an Esthetician
There are very few jobs that have so many benefits and still pay a decent salary. Career options are limitless, hours are flexible and you can work independently within a company. All you need to become an esthetician in Phoenix is great training and a passion for all things beauty.