September 25, 2017
Every year you try to come up with a unique and exciting Halloween costume. In previous years you’ve probably seen countless renditions of one or two characters that were the star of that year’s most popular movie or TV show. Business Insider compiled a list of the most popular costumes from 2016, but what about 2017?
We wanted to help you avoid becoming a cliche by predicting some of the most popular 2017 costume ideas, and provide you with some cool alternatives! If you want your costume to be unique this year, give one or more of these a try!
Cliche Costumes to Avoid This Year
- Pennywise the Clown – This insanely popular movie will undoubtedly create a callback to 2016’s Clown Sighting incident at your local costume party this year.
- Look What You Made Me Do – Taylor Swift made an exciting comeback last month with this controversial song. She might have multiple personalities in the video, but you don’t have to be one of them.
- Annabelle Doll – This creepy doll will likely make an appearance or two at your local Halloween party. Unless you want to freak people out by being in multiple places at once, avoid this overused costume.
- Beauty and the Beast – Emma Watson’s rendition of this beloved Disney princess will definitely equate to a lot of yellow dresses around town.
- Political Figures – This year in politics has truly been a wild ride. Anyone dressing up as a political figure is likely asking for drama. Don’t be tactless by dressing up as Sean Spicer or Anthony Scaramucci this year.
- Snapchat Hot Dog – This hot dog has quickly become one of Snapchat’s most popular filters. We predict this will be extremely popular this year.
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Honestly, all of these characters are likely to become popular costumes. Though it’s an excellent movie, we would steer clear of these costumes.
- Wonder Woman – As popular as WW was this year (congrats to Patty Jenkins), we think this costume will definitely be overdone, much like Harley Quinn last year. With that being said, we love her so much that we think you could probably get away with this particular cliche.
Based on popular movies, memes, and music, we think these are the costumes that will definitely be overplayed this year. If you’re dead set on being a character from one of these media phenomena though, we have some alternatives which will still be creative, unique, and easily recognizable.
What’s the Opposite of a Cliche?
- Atomic Blonde – Haven’t you ever wanted to dress up as Charlize Theron? We think this high-fashion, high-action undercover agent will make for an excellent Halloween costume.
- Baby Driver – If you’re looking for an insanely easy costume, give Baby from Baby Driver a chance. Just wear a flannel button up, a hoodie, sunglasses, and some headphones and you’re set!
- The Babadook – We understand that you might still want to dress up as something terrifying for Halloween. After all, that’s what the holiday is celebrating. Dress up as Pennywise’s horrifying boyfriend instead, and maybe flirt with all those clowns you will likely see.
- Right In Front of My Salad? – This meme was crazy popular after emerging on Tumblr. Though the origins of the meme are NSFW, imagine dressing as a salad and standing near people just so you or an accomplice can say “Seriously? Right in front of my salad?”
- Logan – So you can take this one 1 of 2 ways. You can represent a handsomely-aged Hugh Jackman from Logan, or you can dress as a slightly hard-edged hillbilly like in Logan Lucky. Either way, we think this costume will get a lot of praise!
- Steve Trevor – As an alternative, you could always dress as Steve, Wonder Woman’s charming love interest. This costume could definitely spark some interesting dialogue with all of those Wonder Woman costumes!
- Game of Thrones – This TV show is so popular that you could dress up as any of the characters and it would be successful. Though it might be a tad overplayed, we agree that there are enough characters that you can nail this if you think outside of the box.
Halloween can be a tricky time to get right. We hope this list helped you decide what you’ll dress up as this year, and perhaps what to avoid next year. At Avalon School of Cosmetology, we are prepared to teach you how to create many of these looks. If you have an interest in special effects makeup, or just makeup in general, check out our program here, and Happy Halloween!