April 29, 2022
Should I Book a Makeup Artist for My Wedding?
2022 is the year for weddings. The COVID-19 pandemic took the world by storm in 2020 and 2021, and many weddings had to be postponed…until now! With the many weddings that are sure to be happening this year, you may be wondering if hiring a makeup artist is worth it for your wedding. A makeup artist can help you stand out and relieve stress but in the end, the decision is entirely up to you as the bride. You can do your own makeup, have your bridal party help you, or you can book a professional makeup artist. Here are a few reasons why you might want to consider booking a MUA for your big day and how to do it.
They Know What They’re Doing
Professional makeup artists do makeup all day long. They are well versed in the techniques and styles that work best, and know how to accomplish the look you may have in your head. Many professional MUAs actually specialize in bridal makeup, which could mean you will have an even better experience!
They Understand Skin Tones and Face Shapes
Having studied makeup in beauty school and work, talented makeup artists must learn what colors compliment certain eye colors and skin tones. They also understand what styles and applications work with each face shape. While you might not understand why your eyeliner color doesn’t look quite right, they do!
Less Stress on You
Why worry about getting ready on your wedding day when you can be pampered instead? A trustworthy and skilled MUA knows how to make you look and feel beautiful on your big day. There are a lot of elements in a wedding, and getting someone else to do your makeup takes another thing off your plate!
Match Your Bridal Party
If you can enlist an army of makeup artists (or one who is killin’ it alone), you can have everyone’s makeup done professionally. This can ensure you’re perfectly in sync with your bridal party as your makeup artist will apply similar color palettes that will make the group look more put together and elegant. This may increase the cost of your makeup artist, but could be worth the extra expense to have cohesive pictures.
Get a Professional Look
Do you have a dream makeup look that’s been in your wedding look-book forever? Maybe it’s from a celebrity red carpet or your favorite bridal magazine. Either way, your ideal makeup look can be achieved much more effectively with a professional makeup artist. The look you want or end up with might not have been something you could easily achieve on your own! Choose a style you love and be sure your MUA can make it happen.
Steps to Follow When Booking a Makeup Artist
- Get to know them online. If you don’t already know a makeup artist, use your favorite social media to track someone down. Instagram and TikTok are often great places to start. Ask family and friends for their recommendations in your area, or DM people whose wedding looks you’ve loved in the past to get the names of the MUA’s profiles. Look at their work, and message them to talk about your ideas. Not everyone is going to be the perfect fit, so take your time choosing someone you will click with!
- Contact them in advance. The sooner you can connect with them, the better. You are more likely to get the day and time you want if you are chatting months in advance, and they can prepare more effectively Some may even offer a “practice” day to see if the makeup look will turn out just the way you want.
- Give them all the details. The day, time, color scheme, amount of people, and the style you’re looking for are all important details; make sure you are giving them to your artist! The more you can give them, the better they can plan and prepare. If you’re going to make any changes, tell your MUA before the big day, and try not to change things day-of!
- Talk about pricing. No one wants to be caught off guard. It is normal to want to get pricing estimates from makeup artists, and they expect it. Don’t be shy!
- Follow health protocols. Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, people have been taking their health and safety much more seriously. A makeup artist’s job involves close contact, so be sure to follow your state’s health mandates prior to your wedding, and respect whatever protocols your MUA may have. Stay safe!
- Show your artist a big thank you! Just like hairstylists and estheticians, makeup artists deserve tips! 15-25% is typical, and don’t be afraid to give praise and feedback. Ask your makeup artist where to leave a 5 star review! Social media is a great place to do so, but make sure to let your MUA know in person as well.
Interested in Becoming a Wedding Makeup Artist?
Do you love weddings and want to show off your creative side? Becoming a makeup artist could be the perfect path for you! Choosing the right beauty school is an important step, so check out our Makeup Artistry program, and contact us with any questions you have about getting started. We would love to meet you and help you pursue your passions!
Leave a Reply